17 Aug SPRING FEVER!
Spring has arrived early this year and one of our growers has started bringing in the freshest smelling lavender. Besides filling the house with it’s beautiful fragrance, Lavender can be used to flavour shortcake biscuits, whipped cream or honey. The flavour is subtle and delicate. Also, we have extra large and super sweet Strawberries. The season just keeps getting better and better!
1 bunch Lavender $8.00
2 x 375grm Strawberries- $9.00
- 1 small can (5.4 ounce / 160 ml) unsweetened coconut cream (such as Native Forest)
- 2 tablespoons (40 g) mild honey
- ⅛ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ½ vanilla bean, split lengthwise and scraped
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons (105 g) chia seeds (I use black seeds)
- 2 cups (475 ml) unsweetened almond milk (preferably fresh or homemade)
- ¼ cup (85 g) mild honey
- 2 teaspoons lavender buds (culinary-grade), plus a few extra for topping
- 12 fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
- large handful toasted coconut flakes
- fresh fruit, bee pollen (optional)
- In a large saucepan, gently warm the coconut cream with the 2 tablespoons honey, salt, and vanilla seeds and pod until the honey is melted, 1-2 minutes over medium heat. Remove from the heat and whisk in the chia seeds, then the almond milk. Let stand 5 minutes, then whisk again (this prevents the seeds from clumping) and pour into a quart-sized jar or other container. Chill until thickened, at least 3 hours and up to 3 days.
- Meanwhile, combine the ¼ cup honey and lavender buds in a small saucepan and heat over a medium-low flame, stirring occasionally, until the honey is very warm. Turn off the heat, cover, and let steep to infuse the honey, 20 minutes to 1 hour. Rewarm the honey until liquid, then strain into a small jar, pressing on the lavender to extract all the flavor. Store at room temperature indefinitely.
- To make the bowls, divide the pudding between 3-4 bowls and top with the strawberries, and coconut. Drizzle each bowl with a bit of honey (1-3 teaspoons per bowl depending on your sweet tooth) and sprinkle with lavender and bee pollen if you like. Serve right away.