26 Sep THE GREEN MACHINE CONTINUES!
This week we have New Season Broadbeans, Asparagus and Zucchini on special. Don’t miss our recipe below for Baked Zucchini Fries. They only takes 20 minutes to cook and are a super healthy snack while the kids are home for the holidays! We also threw in a sweetener with our soft, moist Chocolate Zucchini Cake!
- Asparagus 2 for $5
- Broad Beans 500gms x $5
- Continental Zucchini 5 for $3
BAKED ZUCCHINI FRIES
Extra virgin olive oil
Extra virgin olive oil spray
4 medium zucchini
1 cup dry bread crumbs
¼ cup freshly grated parmesan or pecorino cheese (omit to make these dairy-free)
1 teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon ground paprika
1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 teaspoon sea salt
2 large eggs
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and brush parchment with olive oil.
2. To cut your zucchini into fries, cut each zucchini in half crosswise. Cut each half lengthwise into halves or in thirds, and each one of those pieces into 4 sticks or into ½-inch wide sticks.
3. In a shallow dish, combine breadcrumbs, parmesan, garlic powder, paprika, oregano, red pepper and salt. In a separate shallow dish, beat eggs very well.
4. One by one, dip each zucchini stick into the egg mixture, then into the bread crumb mixture. Shake to remove any excess and place on the baking sheet.
5. Once all are coated with breadcrumb mixture and on the prepared baking sheet, spray with olive oil.
6. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until golden and crispy on the outside and soft on the inside, flipping over halfway to ensure browning on both sides. Serve plain or with marinara sauce or ranch dressing.
CHOCOLATE ZUCCHINI CAKE
1½ cups grated zucchini (about 2 medium zucchini)
⅓ cup plain yogurt
⅓ cup vegetable oil
¾ cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1½ cups whole wheat flour
½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare pan with butter, cupcake liners (if using muffin pan) or spray oil.
2. Put shredded zucchini into a large section of paper towel and squeeze over the sink to release excess water. Set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs until frothy. Add yogurt, oil, sugar and vanilla then beat again. Then add dry ingredients plus zucchini. Mix until just combined. Pour into pan.
4. Cooking times: cake: 9×9 = 35-40 minutes, cake: 13×9 = 45-50 minutes mini-cupcakes/muffins: 10 minutes, regular cupcakes/muffins = 18 minutes.
*Use a toothpick in center to test doneness, which will vary according to ovens and exact amount of zucchini you put in.