20 Nov Asparagus, Dill and Onion Tart
Asparagus are full of flavour and at their very best right now. This Asparagus, Dill and Onion tart makes the most of an easy delicious luncheon recipe.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 bunches salad onions, trimmed, bulbs thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- Finely grated rind of 2 lemons and juice of 1
- ½ cup coarsely chopped dill, plus extra to serve
- 16 filo pastry sheets
- 100 gm butter, melted
- 500 gm thick plain yoghurt
- 5 eggs
- 50 gm plain flour, sieved (1/3 cup)
- 4 bunches asparagus, trimmed, cut into 10cm lengths
- To serve: extra-virgin olive oil
Heat oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat, add onion and garlic and sauté until tender (4-5 minutes), stir through lemon rind, season to taste and set aside to cool to room temperature, then stir through dill.
Meanwhile, preheat oven to 180C. Place a filo pastry sheet on a work surface, brush with butter and top with another pastry sheet. Repeat until you have eight layers of pastry, then trim to a 16cm x 40cm rectangle and line an 11cm x 34cm rectangular tart tin, brushed with butter. Repeat with remaining pastry and butter and line another tart tin.
Divide onion mixture among tart cases. Whisk yoghurt, eggs and flour in a bowl to combine, add lemon juice, season to taste and pour over onion mixture. Scatter over asparagus, then bake until golden and set (20-25 minutes). Serve warm or at room temperature, topped with extra dill.